2 hours cooking time
- 6 small shanks
- 500 ml Quick Mix Portuguese Peri Peri Marinade
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cm piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 10 baby carrots
- 1 x 400g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 250 g butternut, cut into chunks
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced
- 500 g baby potatoes
- 1 bouquet garni
- Marinate the shanks in the Quick Mix Portuguese Peri Peri Marinade.
- Place a potjie over the fire. Heat the olive oil. Lift the shanks out of the marinade (discard leftover marinade), place in the pot and fry for 5 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger, fry for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the celery sticks and baby carrots, fry another 2 minutes.
- Add the shanks and season with salt and ground pepper. Add the tomatoes and bouquet garni.
- Place the potjie over warm coals, and leave to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the butternut, zucchini and potatoes, leave to simmer for another 1 hour - 2 hours or until the shanks are tender. Serve with fresh bread.