2 hours cooking time
- 6 small shanks
- 500 ml Quick Mix Portuguese Peri Peri Marinade
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cm piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 10 baby carrots
- 1 x 400g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 250 g butternut, cut into chunks
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced
- 500 g baby potatoes
- 1 bouquet garni
- Marinate the shanks in the Quick Mix Portuguese Peri Peri Marinade.
- Place a potjie over the fire. Heat the olive oil. Lift the shanks out of the marinade (discard leftover marinade), place in the pot and fry for 5 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger, fry for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the celery sticks and baby carrots, fry another 2 minutes.
- Add the shanks and season with salt and ground pepper. Add the tomatoes and bouquet garni.
- Place the potjie over warm coals, and leave to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the butternut, zucchini and potatoes, leave to simmer for another 1 hour - 2 hours or until the shanks are tender. Serve with fresh bread.
From manual mincers you can use at home to giant vacuum packers fit for large butcheries, this is the entire catalogue of equipment available from Freddy Hirsch.