Pickled Fish and Samosas
30 minutes prep time
30 minutes cooking time
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Olive oil
- 400 g Onions, thickly sliced
- 100 g Freddy Hirsch What’s cooking Pickled Fish Mix
- 1.2 L (5 cups) Water
- 190 ml White wine vinegar
- 300 g White sugar
- 1 kg Hake or Kingklip fillets
- 200 g What’s cooking Seafood Coating
- 50 g What’s Cooking Milk & Egg Wash
- 200 ml Water
- 30 g Cake flour
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Water
- 30 Sheets samosa pastry
- 30 Fresh coriander leaves
- Sunflower oil for deep frying
- 125 ml (½ cup) Freddy Hirsch Di Cardelli Sweet Chilli Marinade
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil with the Freddy Hirsch What’s cooking Pickled Fish Mix
- Add the water, vinegar and sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes
- Prepare the fish using What’s Cooking Milk & Egg Wash, water and What’s Cooking Seafood Coating. Fry the fillets until golden on both sides. Layer in a glass container and cover with the hot pickling sauce. Chill in the fridge.
- To make the samosas: Flake the pickled fish with some of the onions into small pieces.
- Combine the cake flour and water in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside
- Lay a samosa pastry strip on a clean workbench. Place tablespoon of the pickled fish with a coriander leaf at one end of the samosan strip leaving a 2 cm border
- Take the right corner and fold diagonally to the left, enclosing the filling and forming a triangle. Fold again upon the upper crease of the triangle. Repeat folding this way until you have a 2cm border left. Brush the border with the cake flour mixture and fold again. Repeat with the remaining samosas.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 180℃. Fry the samosas in batches for 3 - 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a kitchen paper towel.
- Serve the pickled fish samosas with the Freddy Hirsch di Cardelli Sweet chilli Marinade
Stand a chance to go into a draw to win a .75kw Biltong Slicer valued over R5000*