Oupa’s Boerewors Stokbrood
20 minutes prep time
20 minutes cooking time
- 250 g Cake flour
- 180 ml (½ cup) Lukewarm milk
- 30 g Butter, melted
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Salt
- 1 kg Freddy Hirsch Oupa’s Boerewors
- ½ Red pepper, diced
- ½ Green pepper, diced
- ½ Yellow pepper, diced
- 1 x 400 g Tin Mexican tomatoes
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- Combine the cake flour, salt and instant yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the milk and butter. Mix until well combined. Knead the dough on a lightly flavoured surface for 8 - 10 minutes until soft and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap. Leave to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Make your fire like usual, with medium warm coals. Divide the Oupa’s boerewors into 8 equal pieces. Stick the sausage pieces on 8 thick skewers.
- Braai the Oupa’s Boerewors on the sticks for 5 minutes or until golden and almost cooked thorough. Leave to cool slightly.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece between the palms of your hand until you have 25 cm long strip. Twist the dough around the sausage and press tightly. Braai for 5 - 7 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked thorough.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Fry the red pepper, green pepper and yellow pepper until soft. Add the Mexican tomatoes and coriander and heat thorough.
- Serve the Stookbrood with the tomato relish
From manual mincers you can use at home to giant vacuum packers fit for large butcheries, this is the entire catalogue of equipment available from Freddy Hirsch.