15 minutes prep time
1 hour 15 minutes cooking time
- 500g Maize meal
- 50g Butter or margarine
- 10g Freddy Hirsch Hunters® Spice (802331)
- 1.5L Water
- Oil for frying
- 500g Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 150g Onion, finely chopped
- 40g "What’s Cooking™" Chakalaka Stew Mix (803310)
- 300ml Water
- 1 Tin of sweet corn
- 20g Sugar
- 2 Cups grated cheddar cheese
- For the pap: Add water and maize meal to a pot and bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer until cooked. Flavour with Hunters® Spice and butter.
- For the filling: Fry chopped onion and tomato in pre-heated oil until soft. Mix "What’s Cooking™" Chakalaka Spice with water and add with sugar to tomato mix. Simmer until cooked and then add the sweet corn.
- To assemble the dish: Use a large oven dish and spray with Spray and Cook. Fill with half of the pap and smooth the surface with a large spoon. Top with a sprinkle of grated cheese and then a layer of filling. Follow with a layer of pap, filling and cheese to end off. Bake in pre heated oven for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden brown.