Tips to have the best Droewors
Droewors is a traditional Southern African food, commonly eaten as a snack. It is derived from the Boerewors Sausage, which has a unique coriander spice to give it its unique flavour profile. Many questions arise when trying to create the perfect Droewors, below are some tips and tricks to make the process easier and perfect the tastiest Droewors! Below are some of the most frequently asked questions when making Droewors:
1. What is the best way to hang and dry out your droewors?
Hang on sticks and put sticks in a cabinet with a proper airflow (fan), keeping temperature between 18 -22 degrees. Ensure there are holes in the cabinet for proper circulation.
2. If the Droewors is to dry (the meat) how do I get it to be more moist?
Add Worcester sauce or water, using a very low percentage.
3. What is the best type of casing to use when making Droewors?
Sheep, collagen or alginate
4. Do you add any sauce when making Droewors?
You can, however, a very small amount. 1% or less.
5. What is the best way to store Droewors after you have made it?
In an air sealed container, at room temperature.
6. What is the best meat cut to you use?
Beef brisket fat and meat.
Enjoy your homemade artisanal Droewors with the best tips and tricks from the Freddy Hirsch Group, don’t forget to share with family and friends!
You can find the following products at Freddy Hirsch: