Hunters® Game Stew Herbed Dumplings
10 minutes prep time
2 hours 30 minutes cooking time
- 30ml olive oil
- 1kg venison stewing meat, cut into cubes
- 60ml cake flour
- 45ml Freddy Hirsch Hunters® Biltong Spice
- 1 onion
- 15ml chopped garlic
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, washed and sliced into rings
- 1 x 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 250ml beef stock
- For dumplings:
- 250g self raising flour
- 125g cold butter, cubed
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- Handful of thyme, chopped
- 5ml salt
- 2.5ml black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine the cake flour and Freddy Hirsch Hunters® Biltong Spices in a large bowl. Toss the venison cubes with the cake flour mix.
- Shake off any excess flour and sauté the venison in batches in a heavy based saucepan for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the celery, carrots and leek and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the venison back into the saucepan with the tomatoes and beef stock. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours or until the venison is tender.
- In a medium bowl, rub the butter into the self raising flour until resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the parsley, thyme, salt and black pepper. Add 30ml ice water and roughly mix until the dough comes together. Form the dough into ping pong sized balls and place on top of the venison stew. Place the lid on the stew and simmer for another 20-25 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
Freddy Hirsch products used in this recipe:
From manual mincers you can use at home to giant vacuum packers fit for large butcheries, this is the entire catalogue of equipment available from Freddy Hirsch.