ROASTED HOMESTAY™ BOEREWORS WRAPPED IN BACON WITH ONIONS AND MUSHROOM
40 minutes prep time
35 minutes cooking time
- 1kg Homestay™ Boerewors
- 250g streaky bacon
- 500g pickling onions, peeled
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 whole head of garlic, broken into cloves, unpeeled (reserve 2 cloves, peeled and chopped)
- 300g of mixed exotic mushrooms
- For the gravy:
- 15ml olive oil
- A few sprigs of thyme
- A few sage leaves
- 375-500ml beef stock
- 15ml chutney
- Pinch, twist and cut the sausages to make individual sausages. Wrap each sausage in a piece of bacon, set aside.
- Place the onions and garlic cloves into a big, deep oven pan and toss with the olive oil. Roast for 30-35 minutes until the onions start to caramelise. Add the mushrooms and sausages roast for a further 25-30 minutes until cooked and golden. Season with salt to taste.
- Caramelise the onion and garlic in 15ml of oil in a medium saucepan. Add the herbs.
- Remove the sausages from the oven and carefully pour the pan juices of into a big jug.
- Add 80 ml of the pan juices to the onions and add the stock. Reduce the sauce over a low heat. Add the chutney right at the end.
- Reheat the sausages and serve on creamy mash with the gravy.