ROASTED HOMESTAY™ BOEREWORS WRAPPED IN BACON WITH ONIONS AND MUSHROOM
40 minutes prep time
35 minutes cooking time
- 1kg Homestay™ Boerewors
- 250g streaky bacon
- 500g pickling onions, peeled
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 whole head of garlic, broken into cloves, unpeeled (reserve 2 cloves, peeled and chopped)
- 300g of mixed exotic mushrooms
- For the gravy:
- 15ml olive oil
- A few sprigs of thyme
- A few sage leaves
- 375-500ml beef stock
- 15ml chutney
- Pinch, twist and cut the sausages to make individual sausages. Wrap each sausage in a piece of bacon, set aside.
- Place the onions and garlic cloves into a big, deep oven pan and toss with the olive oil. Roast for 30-35 minutes until the onions start to caramelise. Add the mushrooms and sausages roast for a further 25-30 minutes until cooked and golden. Season with salt to taste.
- Caramelise the onion and garlic in 15ml of oil in a medium saucepan. Add the herbs.
- Remove the sausages from the oven and carefully pour the pan juices of into a big jug.
- Add 80 ml of the pan juices to the onions and add the stock. Reduce the sauce over a low heat. Add the chutney right at the end.
- Reheat the sausages and serve on creamy mash with the gravy.
From manual mincers you can use at home to giant vacuum packers fit for large butcheries, this is the entire catalogue of equipment available from Freddy Hirsch.