How to Make Wors.
YOU WILL NEED
- Check that the product is of an acceptable standard; in other words: not frozen, no slimy layer present on the meat surface, no discoloration or any foul odor noted.
- Check the meat to ensure the meat to fat ratios are correct: If raw material is too lean or too fatty; then adjust the meat to the correct fat ratio by adding body fat or lean meat accordingly. Excessively fatty meat may also be trimmed of excess fat before being used. Additional meat or fat must be of the same animal species as the raw material used. This will ensure consistency. * To be stored under refrigerated conditions between >+0˚C and ≤+5˚C
- Beef and pork meat to be used within 3-5 days.
- Rinse casing well with potable water. Lay the casing in lukewarm water for 15 to 30 minutes prior to use. This will soften the casing and make it more workable. For storage remove excess water and add a liberal amount of salt before repacking.
- Always store collegen in a cool dry area. Ensure the filler nozzle is kept dry when using collagen. Reseal, to ensure it stays dry, after use.
- Mix the liquid components into a lug and add the spice pack.
- Ensure spices are completely submerged within the liquid component to facilitate good hydration.
Add all the meat into the mixing vessel and run through a kidney plate or 13mm plate. Add the spice and liquid mix to the meat component. Mix together until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Mince through 4.5mm – 8mm plate (depending on desired end product texture). Temperature of the final product is to remain <+5˚C.
Fill into desired lengths. It is important to note the speed of the machine as filling speed influences the appearance of the end product (Speed depends on the type of the machinery). Too high filling speed, with a small caliber may cause smearing of the fat. If not filled tightly casing will be wasted and a soft product will result.
Place portions into Fomo-trays and overwrap with cling film or pack in sealable plastic bags. Final product may be stored at temperatures <+5˚C. Product may also be frozen below -18˚C and that's how you make Wors.
Typical Application within the total meat block
Worchester Sauce 1 – 3% -
Vinegar 5% white Spirit/ brown 1 – 3% -
Suggested FHG Spices and Casing
Reference all the various FHG spice packs that can be used for this product
802273-K FH KAMEELHOUT® BOEREWORS (10 X 1KG)
802257-K EGTE PLAASLEKKER™ (10 X 1.1KG)
802460-K HOMESTAY™ (10 X 1.1KG)
803086-K TRADITIONAL BOEREWORS (10 X 1KG)
803058-K OOM FREDDY'S LEGACY® BWS (10 X 1.2KG)
Reference all the various FHG casings that can be used for this product
620033-B 32/35 B/WORS HOG LONGS
620035-B 28/32 EXTRA LONG MEDIUMS (2-4m)
620008-B 28/32 SELECT HOG LONGS
650038-B FHG 24/26 SELECTED SHEEP CASINGS
620006-B THIN BOEREWORS HOG LONGS
Seal in vacuum bag as the process of the vacuum packaging includes removal of excess air to ensure that the produce remains fresh.